Friday, July 18, 2014

Chicken in Wine Sauce

Chicken and Wine Sauce
Pictures and Recipe courtesy of Lauren Buczkowski
serves 4
This is a recipe I grew up watching my mom make. The real recipe includes butter and more flour, I wanted to somewhat recreate this recipe to fit into the 21DF. Now I will say this picture is not typically how this looks. It usually had a nice sauce over it and also has potatoes in it. While I was cooking I also turned into Doc. McStuffins. My son has a special "doggie" and his nose fell off and I had to come to the rescue to sew a new nose on doggie. While I was searching for thread I forgot I was also cooking and my sauce burned and there was not much left. I will make this again in the next few weeks with better pictures of how its really supposed to look. I also didn't have potatoes, so I used carrots. 

This is a good one pot meal. (well I guess really 2 because you have to cook the rice) 

Ingredients: 

·       Chicken (1 piece per person)
·       Chicken or veggie broth (around 3 cups)
·       2 tsp flour (whole wheat or coconut flour)
·       1 cup white wine (I use the small 1 serving bottles from the store)
·       1 cup diced carrots
·       2-3 small white or red potatoes diced into 1” chunks
·       1 medium onion diced
·       2 cloves of garlic (use a garlic press)
·       Salt
·       Pepper
·       1 sprig of fresh rosemary
·       2 teaspoons olive oil
·       Brown rice

Step 1: 
Start your rice (I use a rice cooker) I used 1 cup of rice and 2 cups of water for 4 people. 
Add olive oil to a pan over medium heat. Let it get hot. Salt and pepper chicken lightly and place into hot pan. Cook on each side about 4 minutes (until nicely browned) Once chicken is browned remove from pan. 


Step 2: Add carrots, onion, and garlic to the remaining oil in the pan and cook for 5 minutes. If it starts to burn add a little water until the onions start to caramelize and become a bit translucent. 

 Step 4: Add the broth to the pan then mix together flour and wine (this will keep the flour from clumping in the pan) Pour wine mixture into the pan and stir. 
Step5: Stir and bring the mixture to a boil. 
 Step 6: Add chicken and Potatoes to the liquid. Turn heat down to medium low. Let it simmer until potatoes are soft. 


To serve: Use 1/2 a yellow container of rice and place 1 piece of chicken on top of the rice. Use the other 1/2 yellow container for potatoes and carrots and fill in the yellow container with sauce. Pour over the top of the chicken. Top with a little fresh parsley if wanted. Serve with steamed broccoli or green beans.

In this case again I don't really count the chicken broth. I figure it goes along with the chicken and it is part of the sauce which goes into your yellow container. So it does get counted. As far as the wine goes, I went back and fourth trying to decide on how to count this. Because the alcohol gets cooked out and becomes part of the sauce, which goes into your yellow container, I still count this towards the 1 yellow container. (if anyone thinks differently please let me know.)

Here is how I would count this: 1 Yellow, 1 Red, 1 tsp, 1/2 Green







1 comment:

  1. I would probably calculate it the same way. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete